Saturday, November 10, 2007

Madre Mia!

So I managed to coerce the other lecturers into coming to learn salsa dancing with me at this little club called "Tribk" about 20 minutes from my house. I thought it would be fun, what with having been invited by my boss´ niece. And it was quite a lot of fun for the first couple of hours as everyone learned to move and spin just like you see on TV. 12:30 found me thinking that I just might keep this up as a permanent hobby. I´m not quite sure how it all changed around that same time, but all of a sudden, the dancers had been replaced by a small, square pleather ottoman over which was draped a young woman, covered by two not-as-young latin-american gentleman. And before the other lecturers and I could decided whether now was the time to call somebody, despite the fact the crowd was clapping, I had seen more than my mother would ever want me to....even after I get married.

It didn´t end there: one of the girls that was with us, a sweet young lady from the north of france, was abducted (yes, abducted) by these hoodlums (and this despite the fact that we had retreated to the furthest, darkest corner of the club) and danced on in front of the pulsing crowds. All she could say upon release was, "Madre mia. Madre mia."

1 comment:

Renee Porier said...

Oh my!! I am not quite sure what to say!! A bit of advice seems in order here...leave the salsa clubs before midnight, and do not try salsa unless it is the edible kind made with tomatoes!! On behalf of some of your friends in the States (your mother and sister included), we are concerned that so much exposure (no pun intended) to this new culture may corrupt you beyond your years. Two quick comments on the 'dancers' (or whatever they were): 1) your reference to the male dancers as "gentlemen" seems much-to-kind, but then again I am from the south; and 2) when thinking of the female dancer, a Spanish proverb comes to mind..."A rose too often smelled loses its fragrance". Enough said.