Sunday, March 30, 2008

Atop the Empire State Building

I think I'm really kinda getting ahead of myself in my desire for Spring to arrive. Leaving for lunch today, I put on my blue "FRANCE" t-shirt, a pair of blue jeans, and my favorite pair of flip-flops. Ten minutes later, with my lips looking like my t-shirt and my feet looking like stumps of ice, I decided that Mother Nature didn't care what I was ready for; the weather was gonna get warm when it damn-well-pleased - and if I wanted said luxury of warmth I could, as my mother would say, "stop walking around like a cowboy."

Stopped.

On a different note, the season of weddings (both this summer and in these, my 20s) is starting: Derek Slagle is engaged, which was decided atop the Empire State building. I think it's pretty clever to have your girlfriend at such a height when you pop the question. "No pressure."

For them, and wishes for their permanent joy, I post the following, which is one of my very favorite love poems:

"You loved me first: but afterwards your love" by Christina Rossetti

"I lov'd you first: but afterwards your love
Outsoaring mine, sang such a loftier song
As drown'd the friendly cooings of my dove.
Which owes the other most? my love was long,
And yours one moment seem'd to wax more strong;
I lov'd and guess'd at you, you construed me--
And lov'd me for what might or might not be
Nay, weights and measures do us both a wrong.
For verily love knows not "mine" or "thine;"
With separate "I" and "thou" free love has done,
For one is both and both are one in love:
Rich love knows nought of "thine that is not mine;"
Both have the strength and both the length thereof,
Both of us, of the love which makes us one. "


Congratulations, guys!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"stop walking around like a cowboy"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I love that your mom said that. Reminded me of where you liked to nuzzle your head as a child. HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

That image "outsoared" and "drown'd" the lovely poem.

N

Anonymous said...

Rahim's words some time ago: "Back here in Burgos, I'm thinking right now about how thankful I am to have so many good people in my life. It's seems like everyone I've met here has a treasure of information about how to live life well"
I thought I was one of those, but now I doubt. América